International Alert has provided a submission to the International Development Committee inquiry 'The 2010 Millennium Development Goals Review Summit: Looking ahead to after the MDG deadline of 2015'.
In this submission, we focus on looking ahead to after the MDG deadline of 2015, and:
- Explain why the MDGs provide an inadequate framework for setting goals and measuring progress, and for accountability;
- Welcome the recent MDG Review Summit’s decision to create a new development framework for use after 2015, and encourage the UK to play a major role;
- Suggest an approach for creating the new framework, emphasising diverse participation and objectivity, and ensuring a greater degree of analytical rigour;
- Provide an example of what such a framework would look like and how it would be used;
- Set out criteria against which to judge the fitness for purpose of other frameworks likely to be developed or proposed.
Read our submission below.