'WHAT ROLE FOR THE SYRIAN DIASPORA IN BUILDING PEACE?'
The launch and Peace Talks panel discussion took place at the Directory of Social Change in London on 18 February 2015.
It was chaired by Dan Smith (Secretary General, International Alert), with panellists including Lina Sinjab (Middle East Correspondent, BBC), Rouba Mhaissen (Founder and Director, Sawa for Development and Aid), Yasmine Nahlawi (Advocacy and Policy Coordinator, Rethink Rebuild Society) and Tahir Zaman (Research Consultant, International Alert).
Reem al Assil (Free Syrian Translators and platform member) provided information on the background and aims of the platform.
About Syrian Platform for Peace
- A peaceful Syria, where people manage their conflicts without recourse to any form of violence.
- To provide an open platform through which a diversity of Syrian organisations and individuals can work together to promote and build peace among Syrians, inside and outside of Syria.
- To build and strengthen relationships between Syrians and Syrian organisations in the UK, between these organisations and policy-makers, and between Syrian networks of self-reliance and other international relief and development agencies.
- To strengthen understanding of the complexity of the Syrian context and ways in which peacebuilding can address it.
- To support, build capacity of and add value to its members (sharing innovation, good practice, and recognition for members).