International Alert, in partnership with the School of Global Studies of the University of Sussex and the Royal Commonwealth Society, held our latest Peace Talks event on the topic of 'Congolese prospects: Land and minerals - resources for peace?' on Wednesday 12th June at 18.30 at The Commonwealth Club, London.
The Democratic Republic of Congo is rich in natural resources and the object of intense international attention. Against the background of the M23 uprising last year, and with renewed clashes tainting the recent peace agreement, where does it stand now on the spectrum of peace and war? Can the enormous economic potential fuel a peaceful future for the whole region? Exploring these questions are:
- Prof James Fairhead, Professor of Social Anthropology, School of Global Studies, University of Sussex
- Maria Lange, DRC Country Manager, International Alert
- Alex Mvuka Ntung, Director, Expert Advisory and Research Services
- Vava Tampa, Chairman, Save the Congo
- Dan Smith (Chair), Secretary General, International Alert