The event will begin with a Peace Talks panel discussion on:
“WHAT ROLE FOR THE SYRIAN DIASPORA IN BUILDING PEACE?”
Chaired by Dan Smith (Secretary General, International Alert), with panelists including Lina Sinjab (Middle East Correspondent, BBC), Rouba Mhaissen (Founder and Director, Sawa for Development and Aid), Yasmine Nahlawi (Advocacy and Policy Coordinator, Rethink Rebuild Society) and Tahir Zaman (Research Consultant, International Alert).
Reem al Assil (Free Syrian Translators and platform member) will then provide information on the background and aims of the platform.
The launch is free to attend and will be followed by Syrian food and conversation. It will be livestreamed to this page from 18.30 GMT.
Please RSVP below.
About Syrian Platform for Peace
The vision of the Platform is:
- A peaceful Syria, where people manage their conflicts without recourse to any form of violence.
The Platform’s mission is:
- To provide an open platform through which a diversity of Syrian organisations and individuals can work together to promote and build peace among Syrians, inside and outside of Syria.
The objectives of the Platform are:
- To build and strengthen relationships between Syrians and Syrian organisations in the UK, between these organisations and policy-makers, and between Syrian networks of self-reliance and other international relief and development agencies.
- To strengthen understanding of the complexity of the Syrian context and ways in which peacebuilding can address it.
- To support, build capacity of and add value to its members (sharing innovation, good practice, and recognition for members).
Read our Peace Focus paper The long road to peace: Why engaging the diaspora is essential to building peace in Syria.
Photo: Relief effort for Syrian refugees in Kilis, southern Turkey. August 2012. Courtesy of IHH, Creative Commons.