Peace does not automatically follow when a peace agreement is signed. When the fighting ends, the real work begins. It takes a lot of people working together to build lasting peace. And it takes time – sometimes decades. But we know it is possible.
We work to understand the underlying causes of conflict, so we can help communities handle their conflicts without resorting to violence.
To build peace we use the following methods:
- Research: We research the causes of conflict around the world – read our latest research.
- Dialogue: We bring people together to help them better understand their differences and resolve them peacefully.
- Training: We provide people with the skills they need to support and bring about peace.
- Advocacy: We advise on international policies and practices that affect peace, and ensure that the voices and needs of local communities are heard nationally and internationally.
- Accompaniment: We offer guidance and advice to people, organisations and companies as they build peace or operate in high-risk places.
To find out more about our methodology, read our Programming Framework.